Pages

Labels

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Asia Divers Resort, Koh Tao, Thailand





Asia Divers Resort




I wanted to get my diving certificate for Open Water and I had already met the divers at Asia Divers Resort because I stayed here twice before but on each occasion I had a sinus ailment or worse so I wasn’t able to dive. In Bangkok where all hell is breaking loose I decided to come down to Koh Tao. Third time is the charm. Asia Divers Resort Saiee Beach, Koh Tao. 18/1 moo 1 Koh Tao, Suratthani. Tel: 007-456054-5. www.asiaresortkohtao.com. www.aisia-divers.com. There are approximately 80 rooms varying in price from 700 – 2,000 baht. Fan/Aircon/refrigerator, and of course a pool and a restaurant. For further info check their website. And the is a bantering bar/restaurant across the street that is unique and sorely missed, Banyan. Many local divers and businessmen relax and banter with smiles.



I showed up and said hello to those I know and signed up for the (OW) Open Water diving course. The first night there is 3 hours of DVD video taking students through the basics. There is a book explaining in duplicate the basics and a few questionnaires/quizzes to take and keep you thinking. Second day was in the pool getting comfortable with the gear and breathing underwater. Now that’s a new one because it just doesn’t feel natural for a swimmer/snorkeler such as myself but it is easily overcome with a bit of time and practice.



The next day we took a few tests and went out on the ocean for our first true dive. My instructor was a woman named Kate who has been diving for I think 8 years. She is a wonderful woman with a way about her that made the students very comfortable in the water.




There were only two of us in the class and that makes it very easy for the instructors and us. Our first dive was at a site called Aow Leuk and only went down about 8 meters/ 24 feet but it was a beautifully clear water day and that was worth doing the course in the first place. Lots of people with strong imaginations for some reason keep them from diving, mostly thinking sharks are going to get them. I heard it numerous times from people that come to Koh Tao for a more chilled island experience versus say Koh Phangang or Samui.




My next three dives went rather rapidly and I knew I wasn’t finished and I went straight into Advanced Open Water. I did 5 more dives in 24 hours. I just wanted to achieve a certain confidence level that the first four dives didn’t give me. The deep dive of 30 meters and a navigation course are the only 2 PADI require you to take and you get to 3 of your choice. I chose, Buoyancy, Underwater Photography, and a Night dive. I’m not afraid; I embraced it and had a surreal experience.




Now it’s sunset and time to go west through Khao Sok and on to the Andaman Sea for hopefully more diving.





www.davidcdagley.com