Pages

Labels

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Vientiane to 4,000 Islands





I pulled out of Kata Beach in a cab around noon for a flight at 2 pm. It takes about 45 minutes from the south end of Phuket to the International Airport. It was a sorrowful drive with Kings of Leon and earphones. I flew back to Udon Thani and considered a night in town but chose to go to Friendship Bridge and carry on as loosely as I can plan. I ended up crossing the bridge and grabbing a very nice cab driver that felt the need of a stop at the store and get a beer. I thought that was an excellent idea, I even bought him one, if it keeps his concentration on a particular plane.




As we drove I recognized things and then realized I had past my destination. He pulled a U-turn and off we went back the other way. The Friendship Bridge is south of Vientiane; I thought it was north so there were some small difficulties to overcome but with beer anything can be accomplished. J He dropped me off and I scurried through the dark back to what I know and to a house on the Mekong River that I know. The gate was locked and they knew I was coming. I whistled and the gate was opened. All’s well, they didn’t think I’d make it but then again they should have known better.




We spent four days with little Will, two week old baby, and caught up with Will senior and ran into the past for that’s where we know each other best. We watched the Mekong from reclined positions and local Lao food and family. After four days of R&R I hit the 5am taxi to the airport and headed south to Pakse, Lao that I unfortunately missed before. I don’t have a lot of time here but some is going to have to do. I can always come back, and will.




Once in Pakse Airport I asked for a taxi to the southern bus station for either the Tourist bus or a blue taxi truck at 60,000 kip, $7.50 USD, to take me 3 hours to the Mekong and I would sort out my trip into 4,000 Islands. I hadn’t a clue and that’s exactly how I like it. I’m not one to read travel books; it takes all the fun out of it. I am more of a social worker, meet people and talk or introduce myself and just scuff along. On the blue taxi were two from ladies from Wales and one born in Britain and now living in Spain. Great trio, will probably cross their path again by accident and with a smile. At the end of the line we got out and looked for the Mekong River. I had loose intensions of going to Don Khoung but I was dropped off a little south and grabbed onto the three’s coat tails and crossed to Somphamit Guest House, Bane Donekhone, Khong District, Champasak Province Bane. Okay, so I’m on an island in the middle of the Mekong River at high summer, low water. Some of the photos I have show a 15 foot drop from rainy season to now. But now that I am where I am I’ve decided to stay for a few days. I don’t have a lot of time due to a friendship emergency in Bangkok. I want to be there for people when they are in need of me; she’s there and I’m on my way. She’s under the knife the day after I get there.



For now I’ve got a few days of uncluttered exploring. THE waterfall, Khone Pha Pheng, is coming tomorrow; its said to be the biggest in South East Asia, oh, did I say it’s on the Mekong and the French tried to find a way past it for a really long time of exploration to no avail. Sorry boys dynamite was not the answer, nor portaging really a consideration. The waterfall is 1 kilometer wide and drops 15 meters.




All the foreigners here are terrified of Malaria and Dinghy fever, well I’m from California but have been living in Alaska long enough to know what cold is and so forth. Everyday at this time of year in South East Asia is a sweating contest. You don’t have to move and it will come and you win, it’s like breaking a fever every day and you must drink water . . , or beer. It is not Malaria season and Dinghy is always present primarily by mosquito.





www.davidcdagley.com