Pages

Labels

Monday, August 3, 2015

Venice To Paris To London




Venice To Paris To London



Another cheap flight into Paris with the idea that I was heading to Switzerland but when I checked the directions to it by train what I was looking for was actually in Germany. That’s not a deal breaker but my friends in Germany were busy with work and so I changed my plans and decided to go back to England and get busy with the future. I have edits to do on ‘The Women of Cho’ and a tourist visa for Nepal not to mention tickets.



I pulled the taxi over when I knew where I was and how to use the subway so I saw the Hotel De Suez and that worked out great considering they had a room. It is situated near the Dome and the university. I wandered around the night and went to some of Hemingway’s other restaurants and hangouts for dinner and people watching. It was a good night and a great temperature. I ended up drinking champagne and chatting with some lovely ladies from the south of France.




I had a light breakfast and headed to the train station where I bought and boarded immediately for Euston, London. I still have my Oyster card active for travel on the tube in London so moving about on the underground is a breeze as long as it’s topped up.




London is not a place to look for lodging so I use various online services to search for something reasonable. The prices in London are not reasonable or I should say, all of the UK is expensive so it’s best to seriously shop for what you can afford or do it far enough in advance that it is not an adventure.




Right so the first order of business was Nepal tourist visa from the Nepalese Embassy. He embassy is on the edge of Hyde Park, actually Kensington Palace Gardens behind the Kensington Palace and near Princess Diane play ground. The road is lined with beautiful homes and is a pleasure to walk. Drop off your printed form and passport in the morning and pick it up the next day if all goes well. It did and now for some wandering. I hadn’t been to York so I picked up a train ticket in advance because it’s a lot cheaper to buy in advance. Same day tickets can be twice as much as a day before and remember to try and travel off peak hours.



I got out at Victoria station and saw a sign for a play called 1984. The author of the book was George Orwell and now there’s an adaptation on stage. There are two shows, one in the afternoon and again at night. I asked directions and headed for the Embankment and bought a ticket. It had been a while since I read the book and was excited to see it on stage. It was well done. George Orwell also wrote Animal Farm, Burmese Days, and Down and Out in Paris and London. If you’re a reader any of these books are a good choice. See you in York.