Pages

Labels

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Krabi, Ko Phi Phi, Phuket Bounce




Krabi, Ko Phi Phi, Phuket Bounce



So I’m in the immigration office that has moved to an obscure location near Ao Nang instead of being easily available in Krabi Town so it’s a 100 baht in the rain both ways to get there and return in a truck taxi. It’s cheaper by motorbike taxi but it was torrential rain so I opted for a drier experience. The Immigration Office is closed between noon and 1pm. I got in at 1145 and dropped my passport and asked for a two week extension because my tourist visa was going to expire before my live aboard dive trip coming up was to end. If you over extend you visa it’s 5000 Baht/day. The lady officer went through the process and they gave me a month and then noticed I have a 2 month visa on the back side that I have in reserve but have to use before Jan 23rd. So I told them I needed this to go dive and then I will sort out a language program for the next year under different visa. With eyes all on me, I told them it would be a education/student visa. The girl in front of me looked up and said calmly, “Yes, or I’ll have to arrest you.” I replied sarcastically, ‘Oh Thank you, that’s the nicest thing anyone has said to me all day. Cop khun cop.” They laughed and the manager came over and asked if I was working in Thailand and I responded, “I don’t want to work in this country. I promise.”  Smiles again.




I was picked up the following morning by van that took me to Ao Nang to board a ferryboat to Ko Phi Phi for a night before heading to Phuket to meet friends. With the high season approaching it was a good idea to get a place to stay before hand even though I knew there would be hotel employees with signs out all along the pier before actually getting into the labyrinth of diving centers, shops, bars and restaurants. The ferry is air conditioned and loaded with tourists heading to Phi Phi for a full moon and fun in the sun.




I asked a woman where Phi Phi Donchukit Resort was and she pointed on down the coastline away from the shop maze and new construction fences. I dropped my bag in my bungalow and headed for the beach and got there just in time because when the tide goes out it goes out a long way. Unfortunately my swim was short but still sweet and I didn’t really have time to join a snorkeling trip that would certainly take me to nicer spots but I am flexible and enjoyed the afternoon at a swimming pool party with great music that began to grow as the sea receded. It was a relaxing afternoon with great music and very hot. I expected rain but the clouds disappeared by sunset and local game of football broke out on the sand. As the sun set folks disappeared to shower and get ready for dinner and a big night out. At 10 pm the fireworks began sounding in the distance and flashing in the sky. I moved out into the night and could hear booming dance music off in the distance and walked towards it. Hundreds of people combed the beach and in the middle was a place called Slinky where the music cranked and a large group of folks danced in the heat and enjoyed cold beers, buckets of Samsong and Red Bull, other travelers and company of like mind.




I caught the morning ferry to the Phuket east side docks and took a van taxi to Rawai where a friend is slumming it in a high rise condo over looking Cholong Bay with Ko Lan and a stack of smaller islands seasonally interrupting the sunrise to the east. The seawater is different shades of turquoise blue and the boat harbor is selflessly sparse with sailboats, fishing boats, a few trawlers, party boats and ferries at bay. It’s Thanks Giving and it’s great to be with an old high school friend and his wife can cook anything. When they had their son I was fortunate to be at the hospital with them 19 months ago so I am ‘uncle’. It’s bee great to see the toddler. He’s a little delayed on language because they speak three in the house. 




We took part of a day to a smaller beach near Nai Han Beach at the edge of Rawai and had a swim in blue water. The visibility wasn’t the greatest but the sun was out and the family and I had lots of fun. We only stuck around for a few hours because the sun was brutal and you don’t need much time in it to get a burn.




My friends wife found a turkey and we had a combination Thanks Giving and a birthday party. Being back in Thailand is always a joy but the conversation turned to the ever-changing rules and regulations of tourist visas and staying longer. There are plenty of ways of staying you just have to pick your visa accordingly and stick with them. If you over stay your tourist visa it’s 500 Baht per day and the immigration love it with a smile.




The fish market is only good in the morning and it’s something to remember. That goes for anywhere in the world pretty much. Phuket is no different. Oysters, Tiger prawns, shrimp it’s all there and you can pick it out and they’ll take it across the street and cook it for you later in the day but morning time is to take home and do it yourself. It’s better that way. Heading off to a live aboard dive scuba dive trip for 6 nights/7 days and 18 dives coming up. Stay tuned.