Pages

Labels

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Sanur, Bali



Sanur



So I got a hold of a friend of mine who lives here in Bali that went to Uni in California with me and more recently joined on a live aboard surf trip out in the Mentawi Islands and even that wasn’t so recent maybe 2012. I asked him if he was going surfing anytime soon and if I could tag along and take photos. He said yes and we went out the next morning. Until then I decided to go visit a friend I made a few years back at Barb’s Sports Bar in Sanur and said hello and had a few cold ones with the Aussie expats that frequent the place. Always a smile and always the coldest beer in Indonesia, bar none.




At an ungodly hour of 445 am we met and off we went to Sembangan Beach on an island that is close to Bali and crossable by a bridge. We were the first people there and off they went and I found my spot close to a key between a right break and a left break and as the day went on the waves grew into double over-head and I just clicked away.




More surfers showed up shortly, took a quick look out and went to wax their boards. I was later joined by a couple other photographers that really didn’t seem that interested and were waiting for something bigger but it didn’t come that day.




A couple of acquaintances from Lembongan passed through on separate occasions and we went to Lingi Longa Bar and listened to music. It was a great place to meet people and get your Rasta roasted. Music carried on into the night and fun was had by all.




I spent most of my days writing in the mornings or all day and usually done with it in late afternoon. There are lots of things to do around Sanur and for me it’s better than Kuta but anybody who hangs out at all on Bali pretty much know that.




I joined up with a woman that went to my same high school that I hadn’t previously met and of course we had mutual friends and knew family names and all that. She seemed to know Bali pretty well and decided to take me off the beaten path. There is touristy hot springs on Bali up near the volcanic crater lake and then there are hot springs at the edge of the crater lake where mostly Indonesians go. This was a treat and we got to hear a lot of stories about some of the crater villages that appear to have no roads to them.




My time in Indonesia has come to an end and now it’s time to prepare for something not so entirely different and yet is unique in place, logistics, and people. The next big adventure is the Sardine Run off the coast of South Africa where the sharks converge for a feeding frenzy of sardines. Tuna, Whales, Seals, and Sharks all join in a timeless journey to the tip of Africa for a feed. If we are lucky we’ll get some good camera work and some stories out of the deal. I’ll show you.





Go to my site listed below for more travels: